St. Olaf Residence is an 80-bed nursing home in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Medicare has designated the St. Olaf Residence as a “Special Focus Facility,” which means Medicare has added this nursing home to its list troubled facilities.
Medicare rates nursing homes, including this nursing home facility. Medicare has assigned an the St. Olaf Residence as a “Much Below Average” for the health inspections of the facility. In its most recent inspection, the facility was cited for 18 deficiencies (way above the state average of 6.4). Deficiencies cited by Medicare based on the most recent inspection include St. Olaf Residence’s:
- Failure to 1) hire only people with no legal history of abusing, neglecting or mistreating residents; or 2) report and investigate any acts or reports of abuse, neglect or mistreatment of residents.
- Failure to develop policies that prevent mistreatment, neglect, or abuse of residents or theft of resident property.
- Failure to provide medically-related social services to help each resident achieve the highest possible quality of life.
- Failure to provide care by qualified persons according to each resident’s written plan of care.
- Failure to provide necessary care and services to maintain the highest well being of each resident.
- Failure to assist those residents who need total help with eating/drinking, grooming and personal and oral hygiene.
- Failure to 1) make sure that each resident’s drug regimen is free from unnecessary drugs; 2) each resident’s entire drug/medication is managed and monitored to achieve highest well being.
- Failure to maintain drug records and properly mark/label drugs and other similar products according to accepted professional standards.
- Failure to keep accurate, complete and organized clinical records on each resident that meet professional standards.Failu
In addition to the most recent inspection deficiencies, in the previous year’s inspection in 2013, Medicare issued 30 deficiency citations to St. Olaf Resident, the worst in the state (nearly five times the state average). In the 2012 inspection, Medicare issued 20 deficiency citations to St. Olaf Residence (nearly three times the state average).
The Kosieradzki • Smith Law Firm represents clients in cases involving catastrophic injury caused by nursing homes and other care facilities that fail to provide proper care. If you believe your loved one has been harmed due neglect or abuse in a nursing home, take action and contact the Kosieradzki • Smith Law Firm online or call us toll-free at (877) 552-2873 to set up a no-cost, no-obligation consultation