According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, four residents of the state veteran’s home in Minneapolis died over the weekend from a possible outbreak of a highly contagious food borne illness that is particularly dangerous to the sick and elderly. The Minnesota Department of Health said Thursday that the Minneapolis home reported a suspected outbreak involving eight residents in a 30-person unit and then reported back to say the illnesses included a second unit.
The facility is the largest of five state-operated homes and has been the subject of repeated state and federal investigations and in the past three years there have been four suspicious deaths, including improper drug dosages. The State Veterans Department said in a statement that it has put a temporary hold on any new admissions. The home is also limiting group activates.
Veterans facilities across the country have been hit by outbreaks. At a veterans home in White City, Ore., last week, 125 veterans and about 25 staff members reported becoming stricken with norovirus.
The Kosieradzki • Smith Law Firm represents clients in cases involving catastrophic injury caused by nursing homes and other care facilities that fail to provide proper care. If you believe your loved one has been harmed due neglect or abuse in a nursing home, take action and contact the Kosieradzki • Smith Law Firm online or call us toll-free at (877) 552-2873 to set up a no-cost, no-obligation consultation.