Contact us now
(763) 746-7800

ManorCare’s Failure to Protect Resident Results in Fatal Burns and Thermal Exposure

NBC News reports that a 93-year-old nursing home resident died after being left in the scorching sun. According to the report, federal records reveal that ManorCare left Alfonso Jansen unattended in a courtyard for 3 hours and 45 minutes, during which time the temperature rose to 88 degrees.  According to the news report, the Broward County medical examiner’s report shows that Jansen had second- and third-degree burns on his body and found that “thermal exposure” was a “contributory factor” in his death.

The news report also revealed that a former ManorCare employee explained that:

  • Conditions at the facilities are dictated by the regional director and are the same for all properties in the region.
  • Conditions got worse over the past six years as budgets were slashed.
  • “A nursing assistant who would normally give daily care to eight patients is now up to nine, 10 or 11 patients.”
  • If it’s the night shift, an aide could have as many as 20 patients to look after.

The Kosieradzki • Smith Law Firm represents clients in cases involving catastrophic injury caused by nursing homes and other care facilities that fail to provide proper care. If you believe your loved one has been harmed due neglect or abuse in a nursing home, take action and contact the Kosieradzki • Smith Law Firm online or call us toll-free at (877) 552-2873 to set up a no-cost, no-obligation consultation.

Source: http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Man-93-Who-Died-After-Being-Left-in-Sun-at-ManorCare-Facility-Had-Burns-Thermal-Exposure-Authorities-239538241.html