The Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) has completed its investigation of neglect concerns at the Gables of Boutwells Landing nursing home in Oak Park Heights, Minnesota. A complaint was filed with the Department alleging that the nursing home’s staff failed to properly assess and treat a resident who was struggling with shortness of breath.
The Department investigated the matter and found that on the day of the incident, the resident’s oxygen saturation level was found to be 79% on 2 liters of oxygen and that the oxygen tank in the resident’s room was found to be empty. The MDH determined that the nursing home is responsible for neglect of the facility’s resident. The MDH file indicates that the facility has requested the department to reconsider the maltreatment finding. [Case no. H5615006]
Deficiencies cited by Medicare in the past three inspections of the Gables of Boutwells Landing nursing home include the facility’s failure to:
- failure to provide necessary care and services to maintain the highest well being of each resident;
- failure to make sure that each resident who enters the nursing home without a catheter is not given a catheter, and receive proper services to prevent urinary tract infections and restore normal bladder function;
- failure to check and assess each resident’s assessment at least every 3 months;
- failure to provide care by qualified persons according to each resident’s written plan of care;
- failure to make sure that the nursing home area is free from accident hazards and risks and provides supervision to prevent avoidable accidents;
- failure to provide care by qualified persons according to each resident’s written plan of care; and
- failure to conduct initial and periodic assessments of each resident’s functional capacity
The Kosieradzki • Smith Law Firm represents clients in cases involving catastrophic injury caused by nursing homes and other care facilities that fail to provide proper care. If you believe your loved one has been harmed due neglect or abuse in a nursing home, take action now and contact the Kosieradzki • Smith Law Firm online or call us toll-free at (877) 552-2873 to set up a no-cost, no-obligation consultation.