The Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) has completed its investigation of concerns that a nursing assistant at the Golden LivingCenter Chateau nursing home used a resident’s debit card for an amount totaling $5,700 without permission. The Department investigated the matter and found that the theft allegations were substantiated. [Case no. H5222061]
The question is – who’s paying attention to this employee? Responsible care facilities don’t steal from the people they are supposed to care for. They don’t hire employees who steal from the people they are supposed to care for. When nursing homes and other care facilities fail to hire, train, and supervise their employees, they are not being responsible. Bad things happen when those we trust fail to meet their fundamental responsibilities. Such irresponsibility puts vulnerable residents at risk of catastrophic harm.
The government’s previous health inspections of the Golden LivingCenter Chateau reveal deficiencies cited for the nursing home’s:
- Failure to provide necessary care and services to maintain the highest well being of each resident;
- Failure to 1) make sure that each resident’s drug regimen is free from unnecessary drugs; 2) each resident’s entire drug/medication is managed and monitored to achieve highest well being;
- Failure to keep the rate of medication errors (wrong drug, wrong dose, wrong time) to less than 5%;
- Failure to safely provide drugs and other similar products available, which are needed every day and in emergencies, by a licensed pharmacist;
- Failure to provide care by qualified persons according to each resident’s written plan of care;
- Failure to assist those residents who need total help with eating/drinking, grooming and personal and oral hygiene;
- Failure to provide care for residents in a way that keeps or builds each resident’s dignity and respect of individuality;
- Failure to make sure that the nursing home area is free from accident hazards and risks and provides supervision to prevent avoidable accidents;
- Failure to provide or obtain dental services for each resident; and
- Failure to have a program that investigates, controls and keeps infection from spreading.
The Kosieradzki • Smith Law Firm represents clients in cases involving catastrophic injury caused by nursing homes and other care facilities that fail to provide proper care. If you believe your loved one has been harmed due neglect or abuse in a nursing home, take action and contact the Kosieradzki • Smith Law Firm online or call us toll-free at (877) 552-2873 to set up a no-cost, no-obligation consultation.