This 175-bed nursing home was cited with 3 health deficiencies and 2 complaints and facility-reported incidents, according to Medicare’s 2012 annual inspection. These include the Golden LivingCenter–Lake Ridge facility’s:
- Failure to try and resolve each resident’s complaints quickly;
- Failure to store, cook, and serve food in a safe and clean way;
- Failure to ensure that each resident’s entire drug regimen is free from unnecessary drugs, and is managed and monitored to achieve the highest level of well-being;
- Failure to immediately tell the resident, the resident’s doctor, and a family member of situations (injury/decline/room, etc.) that affect the resident; and
- Failure to hire only people with no legal history of abusing, neglecting or mistreating residents, or report and investigate any acts or reports of abuse, neglect or mistreatment of residents.
The Minnesota Department of Health has substantiated 2 reports of neglect resulting in resident injury at the Golden LivingCenter–Lake Ridge nursing home:
- In August 2010, one staff member transferred a resident with a care plan that indicated that two staff members should transfer her. The resident hit her arm on the chair and sustained an elbow fracture. Upon being transferred to the emergency department, it was determined that the resident had sustained a severe fracture with multiple fragments. The resident later went underwent reconstructive surgery. [Report no. H5105095]
- In April 2013, it was substantiated that a resident’s catheter line dressings were not changed at all during her 25-day stay at the facility, resulting in an infection that required hospitalization—despite the fact that facility policy mandates that all catheter-dressing lines should be changed every 7 days. After the resident complained of pain and chills, she was transferred to an emergency room where it was determined the resident had sepsis and cellulitis infections stemming from the catheter. She remained in the hospital for over two weeks. [Report no. H5105109]
When your loved one has suffered physical abuse or neglect by those entrusted to care for them, take action and contact the Kosieradzki • Smith Law Firm online or call us toll-free at (877) 552-2873 to set up a no-cost, no-obligation consultation.