This 397-bed nursing home received a “below average” for its Overall rating, according to Medicare’s 2012 annual report. Additionally, the facility received a “much below average” for its Health Inspection rating. North Ridge Care Center was cited with 7 health deficiencies. These include the facility’s:
- Failure to hire only people with no legal history of abusing, neglecting, or mistreating residents, or report and investigate any acts or reports of abuse, neglect, or mistreatment of residents;
- Failure to develop and implement policies for screening and training employees, and the prevention, identification, investigation, and reporting of any abuse, neglect, mistreatment and misappropriation of property;
- Failure to provide care by qualified persons according to each resident’s written plan of care;
- Failure to give residents proper treatment to prevent new bed (pressure) sores or heal existing bed sores;
- Failure to provide care for residents in a way that maintains or improves their dignity and respect in full recognition of their individuality; and
- Failure to maintain drug records and properly mark/label drugs and other similar products according to accepted professional standards.
Additionally, Medicare has identified 5 complaints and facility reported incidents, including the facility’s failure to ensure that the nursing home area is free from accident hazards and provide adequate supervision to prevent avoidable accidents.
Finally, the Minnesota Department of Health has substantiated two reports of nursing home malpractice.
- In October of 2011, MDH substantiated a report of neglect wherein the facility failed to adequately supervise a resident with a history of physical and verbal aggression. As a result, the resident wandered into the room of another resident and proceeded to physically beat her. The victimized resident sustained numerous bruises and abrasions. [Report no. H5183084]
- In April of 2013, MDH substantiated a report of financial exploitation wherein an employee admitted to stealing prescribed narcotics from two residents. [Report no. H5183093]
The Kosieradzki • Smith Law Firm represents clients in cases involving catastrophic injury caused by nursing homes and other care facilities that fail to provide proper care. If you believe your loved one has been harmed due to a nursing home’s failures, take action and contact the Kosieradzki • Smith Law Firm online or call us toll-free at (877) 552-2873 to set up a no-cost, no-obligation consultation.