This 140-bed nursing home received a “below average “ for its Health Inspections rating, according to Medicare’s 2012 annual inspection. The facility was cited with several health deficiencies, including the facility’s:
- Failure to provide necessary care and services to maintain or improve the highest well being of each resident;
- Failure to give residents proper treatment to prevent new bed (pressure) sores or heal existing bed sores;
- Failure to ensure that residents with limited range of motion receive appropriate treatment and services to increase range of motion or prevent further decrease in range of motion; and
- Failure to have a program that investigates, controls and keeps infection from spreading.
In addition, the Minnesota Department of Health has substantiated 2 reports of neglect that occurred at Gracepointe Crossing Gables West:
- In June 2010, a report of neglect was substantiated, wherein a resident with severe impairment was found with his hand resting on the room heater. He had a noticeable blister on three of his fingers. It was determined that the facility was responsible for neglect of supervision resulting in an injury. [Report no. H5432024]
- In December 2010, a report of neglect was substantiated, wherein the facility failed to properly supervise a resident. The resident fell out of bed and hit her head, where she began to vomit and continued to do so for the next few days. The resident sustained a second fall, when she fell out of her wheelchair and hit hear head on the sink. She was later transferred to a hospital and diagnosed with hypotension and respiratory failure. [Report nos. H5423025 and H5432026]
The Kosieradzki • Smith Law Firm represents clients in cases involving catastrophic injury caused by nursing homes and other care facilities that fail to provide proper care. If you believe your loved one has been harmed due to a nursing home’s failures, take action and contact the Kosieradzki • Smith Law Firm online or call us toll-free at (877) 552-2873 to set up a no-cost, no-obligation consultation.