This 122-bed nursing home has received below average” ratingsfor both its Overall and Quality Measure Rating, according to Medicare’s 2012 annual report on nursing home facilities. Additionally, the facility received a “much below average” for its Health Inspection rating. Compared to the average number of health deficiencies for Minnesota nursing homes (6.7), Crest View Lutheran Home was cited with 22 health deficiencies. These include the facility’s:
- Failure to protect each resident from all abuse, physical punishment, and involuntary separation from others;
- Failure to hire only people with no legal history of abusing, neglecting, or mistreating residents, or report and investigate any acts or reports of abuse, neglect, or mistreatment of residents;
- Failure to develop and implement policies for screening and training employees, and the prevention, identification, investigation, and reporting of any abuse, neglect, mistreatment and misappropriation of property;
- Failure to give residents proper treatment to prevent new bed (pressure) sores or heal existing bed sores;
- Failure to ensure that each resident who enters the nursing home without a catheter is not given a catheter, unless medically necessary, and that incontinent patients receive proper services to prevent urinary tract infections and restore normal bladder functions;
- Failure to ensure that residents maintain acceptable nutritional status; and
- Failure to ensure each resident receives an accurate assessment by a qualified health professional.
Additionally, Medicare has identified 5 complaints and incidents associated with Crest View Lutheran Home, including the facility’s failure to ensure that a nursing home area is free from accident hazards and provide adequate supervision to prevent avoidable accidents.
Finally, Medicare has identified this Crest View Lutheran Home as a Special Focus Facility (SFF). This is a result of their persistent poor quality of care, as indicated by the findings of governmental inspection teams.
The Kosieradzki • Smith Law Firm represents clients in cases involving catastrophic injury caused by nursing homes and other care facilities that fail to provide proper care. If you believe your loved one has been harmed due to a nursing home’s failures, take action and contact the Kosieradzki • Smith Law Firm online or call us toll-free at (877) 552-2873 to set up a no-cost, no-obligation consultation.